Tuesday, May 26, 2015

I'm Sorry....No. I'm Not. I'm Sick of the Excuses


At the tender age of 23, I found myself living in a violent and abusive relationship. It started like most of them do, with the belittling, the criticism, a shove here, a slap there, then escalated to violence and beatings. I was an Ivy League-level college graduate, and still, I let him have such power over me that I was afraid and ashamed to leave.

You don’t need to know the reasons. It was a long time ago. I’m out. I’m safe. I’ve moved on. It’s a million miles away now.

I Just Don't Get It

In the wake of the Ray Rice abomination, as a domestic abuse survivor and liberator, I am naturally curious as to why women stay in these horrifying, life-threatening relationships. I read the tweets on #whyIstayed. I see the posts. And I just don’t get it.

I thought I had nowhere to go.

I thought no one cared.

I was wrong.

One day after work, with not even a toothbrush with me, just the clothes on my back and about $20 in my purse, I didn’t return home and ran for my life. I stayed at a coworker’s house (her husband was a cop) until my brother could drive the two-and-a-half hours on a Friday night to come and get me.

I got out. I saved myself. And it was the scariest thing I had ever, ever done in my life.

But I also knew I had to do it.

A lot of these women, they say, “You don’t understand. You’ve never been there.” I have been there. And I still don’t understand.

You DO Have a Choice

At the end of this posting, I repeat three important resources, places and people women (and men) can go to if they need help escaping an abusive relationship.

You always have choice. You don’t have to stay. You always have choice. You may have limited options, I understand that. But you always have choice.

The Power to Make Your Own Choices

Here are some of the tweets I’ve seen and my responses to them.

I tried to leave the house once after an abusive episode, and he blocked me. He slept in front of the door that entire night.
The house has windows, doesn’t it?

I stayed because my pastor told me that God hates divorce. It didn’t cross my mind that God might hate abuse, too.
Ugh. Abuse and organized religion. Don’t get me started.

He said he would change. He promised it was the last time. I believed him. He lied.
How many “last times” did you need to give him before you realized HE WAS LYING?

After being stuck in an abusive relationship for awhile I started to believe I deserved all of it.
STOP! You don’t deserve it.

I had to plan my escape for months before I even had a place to go and money for the bus to get there.
There is ALWAYS a place to go. You just have to know where to look. More on this at the end.

I stayed because I thought love was enough to conquer all.
It’s not love when he expresses his feelings through torment and abuse, and his “love” with his fists.

I stayed because my word was the only evidence.
You don’t need “evidence” to leave an unhappy relationship.

I stayed because I was halfway across the country, isolated from my friends and family. And there was no one to help me.
There is ALWAYS someone to help. More on this at the end.

Because I was 15 and he said he loved me and I didn't know what love was. I thought I had to marry him. It was my fault.
Yep. This was me. Only I was 22 and I did almost marry him. We were both wrong, you and I.

You think you know but you have no idea.
I do. I have every idea in the world.

Get Out Now

I’m not judging you. I’m trying to get you to see the facts:
You don’t deserve this.
It’s not love if he’s hurting you on purpose.
Someone does care.
You do have a place to go.
You can get out.
You can disappear where he’ll never find you.

I know. Because I did it.

And you can do it, too.

Most metropolitan areas have abuse hotlines and centers you can call and go for help. In Rochester, NY, we have The Willow Center (formerly Alternatives for Battered Women). You can reach them here, http://willowcenterny.org/, or at (585) 232-7353.

If your city or town doesn’t have such a place, start with 911. If you’re physically trapped, being held hostage, or restrained and can’t do that, there are these two national resources. Get out of the house. Get out as soon as you can. Then get in contact with one of them. All are 24/7.

The Domestic Violence Hotline at Safe Horizons
(855) 468-5287

The National Domestic Violence Hotline
(800) 799-SAFE (7233)
(800) 787-3224 (TTY)


Don’t wait any longer. Do something now. Change your life. Please.

Before he changes it for you.

Everyone's Business

And if you’re sitting there and you know (or suspect) someone you know or love is trapped in a vicious relationship, you, too, can do something about it.

Stand up. Speak out. Lend a helping hand, a caring heart. Call one of the resources above. Because it is your business, too.

But that’s a topic for another blog …


(BTW – I got out 25 years ago, when we didn’t talk about these things as easily. We didn’t have Facebook, and Twitter, or hotlines, and we didn’t have the national awareness we do now. I didn’t have strangers who care … like you do. If you are too scared or ashamed to reach out officially, reach out to me. I’m here. You can PM me on Facebook any time. Diane Mashia. https://www.facebook.com/dimashia. I won’t judge you. And I can help you.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment